Hilton Head Regional Habitat for Humanity is proud to announce it will be building a house in Estill in 2023. This project will be funded by Hampton County individuals, businesses, churches and other civic organizations for a family from Hampton County.
The Habitat model is a successful model for homeownership. Applicants are thoroughly screened before being accepted into the program as a Family Partner. Family Partners then go through a series of classes that include topics from budgeting to conflict resolution, and do 300-400 hours of sweat equity. They purchase the home for the amount it cost to build it and then pay interest-free affordable mortgage payments which are less than 30% of their income. Then paying it forward, their payments build more houses. Habitat’s unique program makes a lasting difference in these families’ lives. Habitat fully embraces the family which leads not only to short-term success, but transformational, generational change. Habitat is truly a hand up and not a handout.
Homeownership is already difficult in Hampton County and will only get worse with the growth of Beaufort County sprawling into the area. Help us build affordable housing here.
In addition to funds, there will be opportunities that building a Habitat home offers for the whole community.
Chose how you serve
There are many ways for members to get involved in the 2023 Hampton County Build — on and off the construction site.
Serve on the construction site:
- Join us in construction when we start.
- Schedule a Saturday Serve Day from 8:00AM-12:00PM for a group of 15 volunteers.
*Tools, training and supervision are provided on-site.
*No construction experience required.
Other ways to serve:
- Serve as the Habitat coordinator for your church, business or civic organization.
- Organize on-site volunteer days for your friends and colleagues.
- Help make a fundraiser happen.
- Make a financial contribution.
- Provide lunch for on-site volunteers.
- Create a welcome basket, cleaning basket, or other special items for the homeowner family.
- Participate at the wall raising and house dedication ceremony.
- Take photography during a volunteer day or fundraising event.
- Pray for our efforts, our volunteers, and the family we are serving.